Thursday, December 3, 2015

Bonding

Looking out the restaurant window.

"Now you understand," my former colleague and current friend said. We were with our respective spouses in a Nyon, Switzerland restaurant.

The NGO we are retired from had about 100 employees of about 50 nationalities. He and I were the only two natural Americans. Until 9/11 our communications were the usual good-mornings-have-a- nice-day type.g

On 9/11 I had brought up CNN to check out the news just after the second plane hit the WTC. I rushed into his office where we followed events.

We discovered we were of like minds on so much, both activists that regularly contacted congress on issues of importance to us. We marched against the war at Bern demonstration along with my daughter and other friends.

We were also of like minds to become Swiss so we could actively participate in the society where we lived as full citizens.

And then we supported each other thru the horrible, painful experience of renouncing our American nationality when direct and indirect attacks by our government made it impossible for us to have the financial security we needed.

Even after I retired, we would meet from time to time to catch up on news, world affairs, writing and other topics. Yesterday was one of those times and it gave me a chance to introduce my new husband who fit perfectly with my friend and his wife.

After our meal we went back to their flat for ice cream. The word lanky could have been invented for my friend. And he is bald.

I said, "The thing that surprised me about being bald, is how cold my head gets. I sometimes wear a hat to bed."

He laughed. "Now you understand," he said. "And sometimes I wear a hat even in the house."

It is another bond.

No comments:

Post a Comment